That day you’ve had marked on your calendars since….. well, I guess only 21 days now…. is finally here! Every January 21st, people all across the world celebrate National Squirrel Appreciation Day by showing kindness to our bushy tailed friends who often go overlooked in a cat and dog world. For those of us lucky to have squirrels frolicking about our neighborhoods, we are truly blessed to get to witness the entertaining antics and totally toxic cuteness that these critters bring into our lives.
So, besides bringing a fresh ear of corn out to my tree feeder, I’ve decided to celebrate this most special sciurine holiday by showing you many interesting ways you can show your appreciation to a nearby squirrel… and I’m going to do it using only previously drawn 200X200 pixel “avatars” (Like MBRS in the Ray Lewis jersey above) that I originally made for my WWTBAM message board account, and only those which feature one or more of my squirrel characters!
With apologies to Paul Simon…. here are fifty ways you can show your appreciation to a squirrel today:
1. Say it with flowers!
2. Buy yourself some squirrel art. Squirrels make incredible artwork…
3. Climbing and jumping through trees is hard on even the sciurine spine. Give a squirrel a back massage!
4. Feed a squirrel some raisins!
5. Give a squirrel a high five!
6. Give a squirrel “one to grow on” for its special day!
7. Ask your squirrel for a dance.
8. Don’t forget to brake for squirrels!
9. Let a squirrel come in from the cold!
10. A hot jacuzzi for your furry friend will really make him feel toasty warm!
11. Treat your squirrel to a Slurpee!
12. Encourage your squirrel to support political causes that will help improve its quality of life.
13. Lend a squirrel your lap!
14. Challenge your squirrel to a friendly game.
15. Even squirrels like to waterski!
16. Create a special card to show you care!
17. Take a squirrel sightseeing!
18. Allow your squirrel to use the proper facilities…
19. And get a fresh drink of water!
20. Buy the squirrel you love a special toy!
21. Let your squirrel make a fashion statement.
22. Draw your squirrel a nice, hot bath.
23. Take a squirrel to the slopes!
24. Send your squirrel on a midnight train to Georgia.
25. Buy some Squirrel Scout cookies!
26. Teach a squirrel how to crochet!
27. Give a squirrel a horseback ride!
28. Paint a portrait of your squirrel.
29. Help a squirrel wash itself.
30. Call up a squirrelfriend to extend your greetings!
31. Just bask in a squirrel’s amazing aura.
32. Serenade your furry friend with a silly squirrel love song!
33. Invite a squirrel to play with you!
34. Won’t you take a squirrel on a sea cruise?
35. Show a squirrel how to have a good time!
36. Debug an itchy squirrel.
37. Shower a squirrel with material possessions!
38. Invite a squirrel to dinner on its turf!
39. Do not invite a squirrel to be the dinner.
40. Do a photo shoot of your favorite squirrel!
41. Play some music for a squirrel! After all, it tames the savage beast…
42. Kiss a squirrel, and you’ll like it!
43. Be a squirrel’s valentine!
44. Don’t be afraid to touch a squirrel! It has well documented health benefits for both parties…
45. Let a squirrel warm your heart and soul!
46. Show respect for a squirrel’s place in nature.
47. Buy a squirrel a drink for its special day!
48. Kick the birds out of the birdbath for a day.
49. Ask a squirrel out on a date!
50. Hug a squirrel! Because January 21st is also National Hug Day!
But no matter how you do it, show a squirrel some appreciation today…. and every day!