Self Service

Slurp, slurp, slurp….

We’ve all seen animals use their much more limber physiology to orally groom themselves in rather private places before.  As more civilized and spinally challenged humans, we tend to look on at this seemingly preverted bestial practice with equal parts disgust, bemusement, and yes….. even jealousy.  As awkward as it might be to admit to, what person wouldn’t…… well, indulge in this naturally given gift of self pleasure if we could manage this contortionist maneuver without damaging our precious vertebrae.

This photo of Saturday Squirrel self gratification should also answer one of the most frequently searched questions that brings people to my blog in the first place… “Do squirrels come out at night?”  Of course they don’t!  Grey squirrels are diurnal… and maybe this is the reason why they never have to leave the nest at night.

Have a great weekend everyone!  And please don’t throw your backs out….

This entry was posted in Saturday Squirrel and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Self Service

1. Oh I bet he’s just trimming his toenails…….! It just looks a bit – well – awkward.

Pam

2. Perhaps if they had opposable thumbs they wouldn’t be quite so contortion-y. 😁 Here’s to a terrific weekend.

3. chattykerry says:

LOL! At least he is looking after his personal care.

4. franhunne4u says:

But .. but … it is just CLEANING itself, isn’t it? Say it is so! *Innocence shattered*

5. Just checking out my nuts sir.

Scooby was doing something similar to this the other night and the very next morning the little bastard decided to dunk his nose in my freshly-made cup of coffee! Squirrels do this maneuver much cuter than cats, at least cuter than Trouble and Scooby who let certain things hang out. Things that I really wish I could unsee….

• LOL, our dog we had before I moved out loved to lick it every time it hung out…. and then he’d jump up and try to lick your face. Ummmmm…… no!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Trisha says:

Eww! Now I’m thinking about all the times I let a dog lick me on the face. And all the times Scooby has woken me up with a bite on the nose or forehead. I know there are germs getting passed along, I just try to not think about where they’re from!

7. You have the fattest, healthiest squirrels in the world. You must have really great nutty trees.

• This one is a park squirrel, and there is a veritable BUFFET of nuts in all of the trees there. Plus, they have access to the garbage cans where they can find all of the really good stuff that people throw away…

8. Ladybuggz says: