Squirrels Can’t Read

What are those people whining about over there?

The trash can says “HELP KEEP YOUR PARK CLEAN.”  This is a friendly reminder to park visitors that nobody wants to see your used potato chip bags and dirty napkins lying on the ground while they’re enjoying nature.  A lot of people do make the effort to throw their garbage away rather than contribute to Iron Eyes Cody’s trail of tears.  But unfortunately, the critters of the park are illiterate, at least in our language.  And because they enjoy scavenging for the tasty leftovers the humans disposed of, they sometimes manage to undo what more earth conscious people have done.  These two little hooligans, for instance, are completely guilty of tossing the contents of this particular drum out onto the grass while searching for buried treasure.  And they probably didn’t even find anything really good

Shame on these two litterbug Saturday Squirrels!  Woodsy Owl will have to give them both a stern talking to…

Have a great weekend everyone!

This entry was posted in Saturday Squirrel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Squirrels Can’t Read

Well, those little rascals! I just realized that I never see squirrels raiding garbage cans here. They don’t even show any interest in checking out the stuff that the crows drag out of the cans on garbage day. Maybe we have enough tree seeds to keep their tummies full yearround. Or, maybe it’s just park squirrels that are junk food junkies?

In other squirrel news, my Chip is dead. 😥 I thought he left because he didn’t want to deal with Gary but we found his body at the base of the big cedar tree by my chimney. Do you know if they can die from falling out of trees? It seemed an odd place for him to end up if he’d been hit by a car.

• franhunne4u says:

Maybe little Chip was already good ol’ Chip … and died of natural causes?

• I think they can fall out of trees. I found a beautiful little dead squirrel, it’s body still warm, under an oak tree in my front yard. Nothing was around it. There were no marks. No dogs, coyotes or other predators were around. It must have missed a jump. It was so sad. Just broke my heart. I’m sorry about your Chip. Poor baby.

• Trisha says:

Oh, Juliette, that is so sad. I always feel sad when I see any dead animal but squirrels always seem so joyful and playful that it seems extra tragic to me when something suddenly happens to stop them in the middle of their fun.

• Trisha says:

It could be. We assumed Chip was in his prime but he could have been older than we thought.

• I’m very sorry. I saw a squirrel fall out of my tree once, but it was maybe a 20-25 foot drop and he got right back up and running again. I’m sure even a squirrel can’t survive a fall from way up in the trees… it just seems like with how often they jump around up there that they just never fall.

• Trisha says:

It’s amazing they can survive a 20-25 foot fall and shake it off like it was nothing. My cedar tree is really tall and doesn’t have branches on the lower

Naughty little things. Makes a change for it not to be humans chucking rubbish everywhere. Of course, the rubbish was generated by humans in the first place.

3. Maybe those squirrels aren’t guilty of removing trash from the can but have instead been bringing trash TO the can???? Little concerned citizens trying to keep the junk the nasty humans scatter about in the proper place instead of on the lawn. Squirrel Patrol at work!

Hugs, Pam

• Had I not seen one of the little imps adding to the pile, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt. They were just digging in the wrong trash can… the leftover Cheez Whiz product was found by the squirrels in the can about 100 feet away (Which I posted a year ago)…

4. Somehow, I feel better about messy squirrels than littering people. I was just reading a book about a ranger solving a murder who was less upset about the murder than that the murderer was also LITTERING. Killing she could get, but LITTERING?

• I guess it depends on where one’s priorities are. When I think of littering, I think of all the customers in our store who just throw unwanted merchandise they didn’t want wherever is convenient for them to do so… including frozen food (Or putting non-freezer food in the freezers). So much waste by people who are apathetic to those around them…

5. ACountryBoy says:

I guess it just squirrels being squirrels.

6. The gangstas in our ‘hood are total litterbugs and then some! Grrr.

7. crimsonowl63 says:

Es, I hope you had a great freakin’ weekend, man.

I like this photo. Absurdity at its finest.

9. Quirky Girl says:

Damn illiterate squirrels! If only they’d take it upon themselves to learn to read, they could follow up by also taking it upon themselves to clean up mankind’s litter. It’s only right. 😛

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w