Rainbow Bite

What happens when Mother Nature gets lazy.

What happens when Mother Nature gets lazy.

As you may remember, I traveled to Arlington Texas for a couple of Rangers baseball games last month.  Upon exiting the ballpark after the game I saw on September 11th, a rather weird “storm” kicked up.  It was mostly just dark clouds, wind and some rain mixed in with an occasional sat squirrel protestrumble of thunder… but since I had walked to the park from my hotel a mile up the road, I had to wait out whatever it was that was passing through the area.  When it cleared out enough for this lightningphobe to feel safe enough to continue on, I noticed an oddity in the sky.  I was actually looking for a rainbow, since the sun had come back out before the rain even stopped, but was quite surprised to see just a little chunk of a rainbow appearing above me!

You can just make out the small section of rainbow that was visible in the picture above (It was a bit brighter in actuality).  I can’t recall having ever seen a rainbow in the sky with so little of it actually appearing.  It reminded me of the little prism my Granny used to have hanging in her living room window, and how the sun would shine through it and cast many little rainbows all over the room.  It absolutely fascinated me and my sisters when we were little, and we’d spin the hanging bauble around to make the rainbows move.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking…. this picture could use a little Rainbow Donkey.  Happy to oblige….

Rainbow contrails are never air pollution.

Rainbow contrails are never air pollution.

Have a bright and colorful weekend!

This entry was posted in Saturday Squirrel and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Rainbow Bite

Aw, he sure brightened the sky, just like you brighten your reader’s days with your awesomesauceness.

2. Kay Harris says:

Rainbows are good luck! I love the photo.

3. Lynda says:

What a fun picture, Bill! Little children do love rainbows! I used to wake up my preschooler class with “Rainbow Time”. (Unlike some of the other teachers who just rudely flipped on their room’s overhead lights) The children and I found it a delightful way to get everyone up and ready for the second half of their day! I still have that crystal and it hangs in my dining room to catch the morning sun. Even now, when the lighting is right, I love to give it a little twirl. 😉

4. What a fabulous greeting “have a bright and colorful weekend!” We will! We also have been reading about contrails. It is educational research but don’t tell the children! 🙂

It’s like “what, a WHOLE rainbow, do you know how long that takes, here, use this, it’s left over from the last one, now let me go back to sleep” 🙂

6. dogfordavid says:

Rainbows are one of my favorite things in nature. 🙂 Never saw one that small either before, but I bet it was still pretty 🙂

7. markbialczak says:

Rainbowus interruptus.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )