I kinda took a break from accepting blogging awards when I began to realize just how many of them were out there, and how quickly they can make their way to your doorstep. Heck, over half of my posts the past couple months would be award acceptance posts if I took the time to officially acknowledge all of the ones my little blog has been “nominated” for. That doesn’t mean I’m not honored and appreciative, it’s just that most of these blogging awards follow pretty much the same criteria, and it gets a little tedious at times to keep going through the motions….
I would like to take the time to mention a couple recent honors I’ve been presented. First, a big thanks to Sean Sandulak, who was kind enough to make me the December winner of his Usual Suspects Award, which oddly enough, he seems to have created in response to the usual kind of awards that are passed around like
STD’s, candy on WordPress. I’ve been entertained by Sean’s hilarious posts since I began following him a few months ago, so I consider it a true honor that he finds me worthy of being his blog of the month.
Props also go to Pish, who recently nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. I enjoy her Blog of Loveliness, and while I don’t want to go through the full award routine for the 347834733rd time, as a show of being a good sport, I will provide seven more interesting tidbits about myself, since I am my second favorite subject to talk about after squirrels…
1. Though I love popular music (and should have a music-themed post coming up very soon), I have never spent a dime on music in my life. Never bought a record, cassette, CD, download…. I’ve never even bought a concert ticket before. Most of the music I listen to is on the radio (Yes, I am old fashioned, and no, it is not a tombstone style radio ya whippersnappers!) or on the digital music channels my cable service provides. If I want to hear something specific, I’ll find it on YouTube…
2. I still remember, 25 years later, a 24-character password to the classic Metroid video game for the original Nintendo gaming system (The good ol’ NES). I entered it so many times back in the day trying to get past a certain stage, that it became hardwired into my brain. If you have the console and the game, enter 3ty-y7 000001 IVDsW9 0000HF, and it will take you to Ridley’s Lair with 55 missiles…
3. I’ve been tracking bills on the website Where’s George? for 10 years now. I have hits in all 50 states, two Canadian provinces, and 17 other countries. Over 10,000 hits later, it’s still a fun little hobby of mine.
4. I’m an amateur hoarder who has all kinds of silly little collections. I have a tub full of old plastic cards (many not even mine), another full of business cards, another full of keys, I have a bookcase filled with souvenir baseballs, every package or envelope I’ve received from my message board friends is stacked up in my closet, and then there’s my massive squirrel collection. The intervention will be in about ten years….
5. Trey Wingo from ESPN, Matt Winer from TBS, and Paul Goodloe from The Weather Channel all worked for the same TV station once upon a time in St. Louis, and they all happened to be there the year I did a brief meteorology internship there. Paul’s a funny guy to be around, but his weather skills…..
6. In 8th grade, I was once the last kid left on my team in a game of dodgeball against seven others, and despite being the social misfit/last kid picked type, I was the last one left standing. I fucking LOVED dodgeball!
7. As you may have been able to tell from my comics and other content here, I absolutely despise the big social media sites, which is why I am not and never will sign up with one of them. I’m happy just to have the small but loyal following I have here on this blog. I’d rather have a handful of real fans and have some control over my little domain of cyberspace than just a gaudy looking number of “followers” and all of the junk they bring any day. Thank you to everyone out there who enjoys my blog! I really do appreciate you all!