#75 – Big Bird

Photo taken: August 23, 2014

When I relocated my former neighbors’ birdbath to my backyard, I did so with the intent of giving my squirrels a place to play and maybe get a drink when it rains.  I didn’t intend for it to be used by….. you know….. birds.  90% of the birds I see in my yard are common black starlings, with most of the remaining 10% being some form of cardinals, blue jays or orioles (None of which are the baseball teams).  That made this bird stand out like a sore thumb… what is this winged monster?  I offered that up to my readers when I first posted this photo, and the guesses ranged from some type of owl to maybe a hawkish kind of critter.  It never was positively identified… so if you pride yourself on being an ornithologist, feel free to step up and tell me what this big grey creature is!  He is kinda cute, even if I’m sure he’s gobble up my squirrels and spit them out in one of those fuzzy, bone-filled pellets….

Advertisements

About evilsquirrel13

Bored former 30-something who has nothing better to do with his life than draw cartoon squirrels.
This entry was posted in My Top 200 Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to #75 – Big Bird

  1. he is beautiful!! and we always guessed that Big Berd is not yellow and that he has no eye brows like bottle brushes…

  2. ksbeth says:

    wow, he’s a big boy!

  3. Ally Bean says:

    Do you live on Sesame Street? That’s not Big Bird! Where are his yellow feathers? Where is his annoying voice?

  4. draliman says:

    It has the look of some form of bird of prey. My parents get a regular big visitor to their garden, but it’s easily recognisable as a pigeon.

  5. I’m sure this bird of prey would eat every last bone and squirrel pellet with not even a bite of fur left un-devoured. Nice capture on the pic!

  6. He looks like a snowy owl in summer plumage.

  7. CarolMaeWY says:

    Hi, I think it’s a Sparrowhawk. . .

  8. Yep – that’s a hawk alright – we have a LOT of them around here……their “cries” are something Teddy definitely TUNES into when he’s out in the yard. I think they might have a problem picking up a 21 lb. cat but I hear they DO take cats as prey sometimes! EEEK!

    Pam

  9. Trisha says:

    It’s definitely some kind of hawk, although it’s much lighter colored than the ones I see around here. Since I’m a bit of a bird identification geek I’m going to have to visit whatbird.com to see if f I can find out what kind of hawk it is. I didn’t know hawks would visit a bird bath!

Jabber Away...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s